Available in liquid form, Ortho Dichlorobenzene is used as an important ingredient of paints and solvents. It is basically a derivative of benzene. It is composed of two chlorine atoms that are situated at its adjacent carbon atom. This highly pure chemical is colorless in appearance and it slightly dilutes in water. This chemical is not compatible with most of the organic solvents. It is well known for its multipurpose usage. It is used to formulate pigments and to process rubber. As suitable raw material for the synthesis of specialized chemicals, this liquid deserves special mention. This chemical is used as an important ingredient to formulate metal surface cleaner and agrochemicals.
Uses of Ortho Dichlorobenzene:
Ortho-dichlorobenzene, also known as 1,2-dichlorobenzene, is a chemical compound with the molecular formula C6H4Cl2. It is a colorless liquid with a sweet aroma and is primarily used in industrial and commercial applications. Here are some of its common uses:
1. Solvent: Ortho-dichlorobenzene is used as a solvent in various industrial processes, including the manufacturing of adhesives, paints, and coatings. It can dissolve a wide range of organic compounds, making it useful in formulations where other solvents may not be as effective.
2. Pesticides: It is used as an ingredient in certain pesticide formulations, particularly in insecticides and moth repellents. Its insecticidal properties make it effective against various pests, including moths, beet les, and other insects.
3. Deodorizer and Air Freshener: Due to its pleasant aroma, ortho-dichlorobenzene is used in products like room deodorizers and air fresheners. It helps neutralize or mask odors and keeps the surroundings smelling fresh.
4. Industrial Cleaning: The solvent properties of ortho-dichlorobenzene make it useful for cleaning applications in industries, especially for removing grease, oils, and other contaminants from machinery and equipment.
5. Chemical Intermediate: Ortho-dichlorobenzene is used as an intermediate in the synthesis of various chemicals. It can undergo various reactions to produce other compounds that have industrial applications.
6. Preservative: It is used in some products as a preservative to prevent the growth of microorganisms and extend the shelf life of certain goods.
Q. What is Ortho Dichlorobenzene?
Ans: Ortho Dichlorobenzene, also known as 1,2-dichlorobenzene, is a chemical compound with the molecular formula C6H4Cl2. It is a colorless liquid with a sweet aroma and is commonly used in industrial and commercial applications.
Q. What are the uses of Ortho Dichlorobenzene?
Ans: Ortho Dichlorobenzene has several uses, including:
- Solvent in industrial processes.
- Ingredient in certain pesticide formulations.
- Deodorizer and air freshener.
- Industrial cleaning agent.
- Chemical intermediate in the synthesis of other compounds.
- Preservative in some products.
Q. Is Ortho Dichlorobenzene toxic?
Ans: Yes, Ortho Dichlorobenzene is toxic and can be harmful to human health. Prolonged exposure to high concentrations of this chemical can lead to respiratory problems, skin irritation, and other health issues. It is essential to handle it with care and follow proper safety guidelines.
Q. How should Ortho Dichlorobenzene be handled and stored?
Ans: Ortho Dichlorobenzene should be handled in a well-ventilated area, and protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, should be worn to minimize contact. It should be stored in a tightly sealed container away from sources of heat and ignition.
Q. What are the environmental impacts of Ortho Dichlorobenzene?
Ans: Ortho Dichlorobenzene can be harmful to aquatic life and may persist in the environment for an extended period. Proper disposal and management are essential to prevent its release into the environment.
Q. Can Ortho Dichlorobenzene be used at home as an insect repellent?
Ans: While Ortho Dichlorobenzene is used in some moth repellents, it is not recommended for home use as an insect repellent due to its toxicity. There are safer and more environmentally friendly alternatives available for insect control in residential settings.
Q. Is Ortho Dichlorobenzene flammable?
Ans: Yes, Ortho Dichlorobenzene is flammable and can pose a fire hazard. It should be stored away from sources of heat and ignition to prevent accidents.
Q. Is Ortho Dichlorobenzene the same as Para Dichlorobenzene?
Ans: No, Ortho Dichlorobenzene and Para Dichlorobenzene are different chemical isomers. While they have similar properties, they have different molecular structures.
Q. Is Ortho Dichlorobenzene still used despite its toxic nature?
Ans: Yes, Ortho Dichlorobenzene is still used in various industrial applications due to its effectiveness as a solvent and insecticide. However, its use is regulated, and safety precautions must be followed to minimize potential health and environmental risks.
Q. Where can I find products containing Ortho Dichlorobenzene?
Ans: Products containing Ortho Dichlorobenzene, such as certain insecticides, moth repellents, and room deodorizers, can be found in hardware stores, supermarkets, and online retailers. Always read product labels and safety information before use.